Windows 10 is the most popular operating system for desktop and laptop PCs with lots of safeguard levels and advance security features –however, we can’t leave the fact of system failure, which may occur due to hardware failure, software issues, and malware resulting in system data loss. Data is a precious commodity; therefore, regular Windows 10 backup is the best strategy against losing irreplaceable photos, documents and digital files, and custom configuration.
There are a lot of ways to create Windows 10 backup, such as manually copying all the files to external storage, storing files in the cloud, using third party tools for backup solutions. In this, we will discuss native and third-party tools to create Windows 10 backup.
Windows 10 Backup Using File History
It is the easiest method where you can make a backup of your important files to a secondary internal drive or an external drive. In other words, it will create copies of drives that you can save it on the external memory device.
Note: With this method, you can only back up your files, not your Windows 10 OS. If you want a full backup, including system files with your important files, then check the Windows 10 Backup using Backup and Restore.
Follow the below steps to backup your files and folders:
- Search for “Settings” on Windows Search and open Settings app.
- Now, click Update & Security
- Select Backup from the left pane and under Back up using “File History” click on Add a drive
- Select the drive from the list where do you want to save the backup (note: Connect external memory storage for saving the backup on it)
- After selecting, it will set to automatically backup your files.
- Click on More options to customize settings like which folder to backup and other options.
Full Windows 10 Backup with Backup and Restore feature
In this method, you can create a full copy of your hard disk, including the Windows 10 OS. Generally, it creates a full system image and which later can be used to restore the PC to the working state along with the personal files. The Backup and Restore feature was first featured in Windows 7, and Microsoft is no longer maintaining this feature. However, we can still use this feature to create backups, but it may stop working in the future. The company may remove this tool in their future releases.
In the future, if this feature is removed or no longer able to use, then you can always opt for third-party solutions, which we will discuss below.
Note: You can save the backup to secondary storage or network location, but we will recommend using removable storage, which can disconnect and store quickly.
Perform the following steps to create the full backup of PC using the image tool feature:
- Open Setting from Start menu.
- Click on Update & Security
- Select Backup from the left pane
- Click the Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7) option under the “Looking for an older backup?” on the right pane.
- From the left pane, click on Create a system image.
- Now select the On a hard disk and drive or external storage drive from the list under “Where do you want to save the backup?” section.
- Select the drives which you want to take backup
- Click on the Next button
- Click the Start backup.
After performing the actions, a backup will be created on the location you choose, including the main drive as well as the system reserved partitions and other drives that you have selected.
Backup with OneDrive
Anyone who has a Microsoft account gets 5GB OneDrive cloud storage for free automatically. If you want to backup all your essential files and folders to cloud storage, then you can opt for OneDrive. You don’t have to install it manually as it is pre-installed on Windows 10.
Follow the steps below to back up with OneDrive:
- Click on Start and type OneDrive
- Open the OneDrive app
- Sign in with your Microsoft account. If you don’t have an account, create one here.
- Now again try to open the OneDrive app. It will open the OneDrive folder on your system where you will be able to copy or move your important files or folders, and it will be automatically synced to the OneDrive cloud. And if you want to access your files and folders directly on the cloud, then click on this link and sign in.
If storage of 5GB is not enough for you, then you can get the Office 365 package, which comes with 1TB of OneDrive storage and all the Office apps, or you can grab 100GB of storage at the cost of 2$.
Free Third-party Tools
Windows 10 Backup by cloning your hard drive with Macrium Reflect
Backup by cloning is similar to imaging the drive; however, it has some differences. A cloned drive is the replica with no compression of the original drive. Suppose you cloned your internal hard drive to a USB external drive, now boot the USB from BIOS, and you will able to run the Windows from the external drive. According to us, Macrium Reflect is the best tool to clone your hard drive to external storage.
Follow these actions to create a clone of your hard drive:
- At first, download the Macrium Reflect installer from here.
- Now, run the installer and download the tool.
- Run the Macrium reflect Free Edition setup file and register your email id to continue with the installation.
- After completing the installation, Macrium Reflect will open automatically or open it manually.
- Select the drives which you want to backup and click on Image this disk to create an image of the backup or Clone this disk to create clones of the disks
- A popup will appear –select the destination to save the Backup and click on Next button
- Edit the Plan for this Backup window will appear. It’s for when and how the backup schedule will occur. We recommend Differential Backup and click on the Next button.
- After that, a summary of the backup drive will be shown –click on Finish.
- We suggest moving the backup to an external hard drive.
Backup using AOMEI Backupper
If you find Macrium Reflect confusing, then you can go for AOMEI Backupper, which is an excellent tool for creating Windows 10 backup. The best thing about this tool is user-friendly.
Perform the following actions to use AOMEI Backupper:
- Download AOMEI Backupper free version.
- Install and open it.
- Select Home and click on New Backup
- Select which type of backup you want to create. If you only wish to backup, the Windows 10 then click on System Backup and click on Next to proceed further.
- Now select the destination folder to save the backup and click on Start Backup. (You can use any local or external drive.)
There are other types of backup, such as file backup for backing up specific folders, Disk Backup for full hard disk backup, and File Sync for automatically backing up folders at a particular time. Besides, you can also do partition backup. It also has a Clone feature which comes very handy if you are switching to a new hard disk or an SSD.
Backup and Sync from Google
In 2017 Google replaced its Google Drive with Backup and Sync app. The app is the combination of Google Drive and Google Photos. It’s a cloud backup service so you can access it anywhere with the help of the internet, and in it, it’s easier to store and find files. The app is available for both Mac and Windows. You can download the Backup & Sync from here.
Follow these steps to use the app;
- Run Backup and Sync app and login with your Gmail account.
- Select the folders which you want to backup automatically and click Next.
By doing this, you are all set to backup Windows 10 files. A Google Drive folder will be created in the User folder on your PC. You can also copy and paste your essential files in the Google Drive folder for instant backup.
There are other third-party software that you can also try, such as EaseUS Todo Backup, etc.