With the rising mobile plans, telecommunication providers like Airtel and Jio were constantly working on calling over WiFi or WiFi calling feature in the Delhi NCR region from the past few months. However, Airtel is the first telecom provider to enable the WiFi calling feature in India for both the Prepaid and Postpaid customers.
Before enabling the feature, let’s just know what WiFi calling is.
WiFi calling/ VoWiFi calling
It allows the users to make outgoing and receiving incoming calls over a WiFi network instead of the cellular network.
The caller needs to be on a WiFi network. The WiFi connection could be a home set up or outside arear like a cafe or library. It’s like a regular phone call with your phone number.
- No additional cost, currently Airtel is offering the WiFi calling at no extra charge
- HD Voice quality
- Make and receive calls with WiFi using your phone number
- Improved connectivity where cellular service is not available, in weak signal areas or indoor areas.
- Consumes minimal data
Airtel WiFi Calling
Airtel WiFi Calling is developed to improve voice calling experience for Airtel smartphone customers, mainly when they are inside the home. There will be no additional charge for calls made over Airtel WiFi Calling, and the application for calling will takes in very little information.
Moreover, Randeep Sekhon, Chief Technology Officer, Bharti Airtel stated,
As a customer obsessed brand, we are constantly working on improving customer experience based on their feedback. Seamless indoor coverage has been a key ask from mobile customers but getting permissions for site installations has always been a big challenge for mobile operators, particularly in top metros. ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’ is another pioneering technology intervention from Airtel and will go a long way in making the voice calling experience more seamless.
- User have to be in Delhi NCR
- The handset should be a WiFi Calling compatible.
- Airtel 4G SIM
- Update to Lastest OS Software
- Currently, it is only compatible with Airtel Xstream Fiber home broadband, but will be compatible soon with all broadbands and WiFi hotspots.
- Apple- iPhone XR, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro
- OnePlus- OnePlus 7, OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus 7T, OnePlus 7T Pro
- Xiaomi- Xiaomi POCO F1, Redmi K20, Redmi K20 Pro
- Samsung- Samsung J6, Samsung On 6, Samsung M30s, Samsung A10s, Samsung M20, Samsung S10e, Samsung S10, Samsung S10 Plus
How to enable the feature
- Connect to Aitel broadband connection
- Switch on the VoLTE service of Airtel SIM
- Enable WiFi Calling from the Settings > SIM & Network Setting > Airtel SIM > turn on the calls using WiFi option
We hope that Airtel will soon roll out this feature across India with all broadband services and WiFi hotspots support.